< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Monday, June 04, 2007

The Green Line is down

Well, you'd be depressed if you had to ride it too....

Actually it was only Boston College outbound from Kenmore. Sorta. Kinda.

Walking into the lavish turnstile area (how many years have you been working on that station now?) I was informed there was no outbound service to BC, but there were plenty of buses upstairs.

Yeah, right. Not a one. At 5 p.m. So I start walking in the drizzle, hoping it would stay that way.

Imagine my surprise when I got to Blandford Street and saw a two-car train loading for a trip. Outbound. And of course, no kindly MBTA customer service representative to explain what the blankety-blank was going on.

Onward and upward along Comm. Ave. Lots of trains going inbound, nothing more outbound. That includes buses.

I did manage to tie a 57 bus to Watertown, arriving at the BU Student Union at just about the same time. A couple more buses did head out -- relatively empty all things considered.

A second outbound train reached BU West about the same time I did. No more buses to be found.

Finally made it to Packard's Corner, only slightly less damp than if I had crammed into the two-car sardine tin that passed me after BU West. And that's when it hit me.

The MBTA is planning ahead, getting ready for the day the D Line is taken out of service for the summer. They've got to get ready to provide the service their customers have come to expect.

Me -- I got a good cardio workout and saved $2. Or was that $1.70? Or did I lose that one because I pre-pay my pass a month ahead of time to insure quality service?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Levy said...

New residents to Boston wonder why they make it so hard to get a Charlie Card. Why not have them available at nearby coffee shops, for example?

June 05, 2007 5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home