< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The self-importance of being a BU student

I always thought that John Silber improved the quality of Boston University students to compensate for the idiots like me who enrolled before he assumed the role of philosopher-king.

John, you should meet Rachel Kunkler, SAR '09.

Ms. Kunkler believes that anyone who lives within a few blocks of a college campus should learn to deal with the fact that college students have a right to sit on doorsteps, blowing smoke into other people's homes at 2:30 in the morning. After all, they aren't walking down the middle of the street, dead drunk, shouting obscenities at the top of their lungs.

Or, as Brendan points out on Universal Hub, these fine students pay rent just like them.

'Scuse me?

I've worked a long time to be able to afford to own my condo in Brookline. I live in Brookline, unlike Brendan, because I recognize it is a solid community with good schools, good services and a high quality of life (except of course for the blankety-blank self-important BU students.)

Look boys and girls, I was once just like you -- a BU student who rented in Brookline because it was convenient. But unlike you, I was mature enough and adult enough to recognize that I was not living in a dormitory but in a community -- with families working hard to pay the bills to afford living in one of Boston's best communities.

In short, unlike you I was an adult, not a spoiled brat transient. And I have maintained that respect for neighbors and community today -- as I work to pay my MORTGAGE. And the property taxes and trash collection fees that go to pick up the beer bottles, empty cigarette packages and assorted detritus you dump on the sidewalk outside my home.

So Rachel and Brendan, here's a suggestion. Move back into the dorms. Party your brains out (or smoke your brains out). Just stay the heck out of my neighborhood, blowing smoke in my windows, throwing trash on my sidewalk and parking your butts on the steps I own (not rent).

If you want to behave like adults, fine. If you insist on being the typical privileged BU student with a sense of entitlement try Allston.

Oh yeah, the students there are far more responsible.

And BU officials -- what do you plan to do about it so we don't have to waste expensive police resources on your kiddies?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can't stand privileged people with a sense of entitlement. I OWN my $2 million condo OUTRIGHT. I am not a transient. I work. And it appalls me that public resources are wasted on the public. Also known as the ewww, riff raff. But most of all, it's the privilege and sense of entitlemet that gets me. I have plenty of money, so I have earned all the things I deserve, and there are many, believe me. Some of the students are on (shudder) scholarship, and they certainly don't OWN. In the olden days, we would have warned out the transients and made them move to another community that would...fit them better, if you know what i mean. Show me the color of your money and the blueness of your blood before you think you have any rights just because you live here. Why, soon my live-on servants will start getting uppity! Egads!

October 17, 2007 10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I just want to mention I'm still a liberal. In any other community (we are the community, you are the riff raff), I would be appalled by the police hrassing people for no reason and telling them to get inside for the crime of, well, being outside. But you have to understand, I live here! I don't live in any of those other communities, I live here, and if you're walking down my streets, Ms. rachel, you better have a better excuse than "I live here too" when I don't see any 12 acre estate. And I am absolutely against any kind of profiling in police street harassment, but on my street--what's wrong with plastic bullets? They shouldn't be legal for just anyone, but can't we make a one block exception?

October 17, 2007 11:06 PM  
Blogger Outraged Liberal said...

Manners are something that don't come with cash or privilege (and I have manners even if I don't have the other two.)

Thanks for proving my point (even though it was tough to be sure because your sarcasm is way too thick)

October 18, 2007 5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me.

The problem isn't rowdy college students making a scene and wrecking Brookline. The problem is a (very) few individuals who make asses out of themselves on the street.

So what happens? The town is outraged at this ridiculous display of irreverence! Call in the fuzz!

A typical walk for me is from Beacon St. North to Comm Ave. at around Pleasant Street. Taking this walk after dark, I am periodically followed by multiple patrol cars, and occasionally stopped on the street by a NON-UNIFORMED officer in an unmarked car.

There is no reason that anyone, regardless of age, should have to feel like they are being watched. Let alone stalked.

If you honestly have a problem with what is going on, TALK TO US. Get in a dialogue with the Student Union, or talk to Dean of Students Elmore. I promise you, we're pretty smart. We get it. More than that, though, we are respectful of the community that treats us with respect.

We don't have a sense of entitlement, we don't have privilege. Hell, 70% of the school is from out-of-state. We are guests here, and will honestly act like such. But who can blame us for looking over our shoulders and being distrustful of the BPD and residents when we're treated like criminals?

I love Brookline... it's a great area, and it has a lot to offer.

But to hell with the way Brookline is treating me.

Maybe your "valuable police resources" should be spent on chasing those damn turkeys.

October 20, 2007 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, also... I'm sure we would choose to live on-campus if the school had enough housing for all of us.

It's something like 50% of students live off-campus because there's no room? I'm not sure of the numbers.

Living in Brookline vs. living in the Cambridge Hyatt?

No, thanks.

October 20, 2007 5:30 PM  
Blogger Outraged Liberal said...

Anon 5:26: For the sake of argument, say it is only a few asses (and you are probably right): what's the answer: have student government stage "arrest me" protests while the self-important idiots write letters telling us to stick it?

Or perhaps, work with your student government and your Dean of Students to start the dialog you want. Right now, all the talking is coming from the same underage idiots who carry 30 packs down the middle of the street at midnight and from snarky letter writers.

That dean of students should have already been meeting with town officials, along with community relations types. They, like their counterparts at Northeastern and BC, should have been out at night, spotting potential problems before they happen.

Responsible students, and it sounds like you are in that group, should be joining them and deal with your trouble-making peers.

You want to be treated with respect -- show some. That means more than bitching about the cops. It means taking action to help solve the problem.

And as for the lack of dorm space, that's not what BU administrators say. But then again, I don't hold a lot of stock in what they say either.

I much prefer your line of approach than that of the previous commenter. For me, it's a sign of hope.

October 21, 2007 6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The troublemakers, however, don't have to be in the majority to present a problem. If the majority doesn't go out of their way to keep their troublemakers in line, then they, too bear responsibility for their situation. If you don't want to get treated like criminals, start by bringing the troublemakers in your flanks under control.

October 21, 2007 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't bitch about the cops?

Don't have the cops violate our rights and we won't have a thing to say.

October 23, 2007 12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home