< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Dude, where's the blogs?

I've pretty much held my fire on the Globe's redesigned Boston.com, but the latest wrinkle I discovered today begs for an observation.

On the old site, news and business updates were easily accessible in a small line of links above the name plate. Today, after a fruitless search for that quick and simple access I discovered the problem.

Those links are now on the Boston Globe home page, underneath the formal Globe nameplate, one click deeper into the site. In other words, it now takes a minimum of two clicks to get to the news and business updates.

Huh?

That's when you can find them at all. While the home page for all the local blogs still exist, finding it is a challenge.

And it took, by my estimation, one-full day for the editorial powers-that-be in the newspaper to learn that the URL of the White Coat Notes section had been changed. My guess is the same lack of communication between the Globe and Boston.com took place on other blogs.

While I'm on the subject -- why did they bother to keep the All Politics are Local blog when it hasn't been updated since Sept. 21?

And I won't even go near the question of why comments aren't being offered.

In contrast, while it gets harder and harder to find the newsprint stories in any daily edition of the Herald, the blogs are prominently posted on its front door. That's no doubt a reflection of the fact that the Metro has now passed the Herald in print circulation and the Herald's future is increasingly going to be online.

The news updates and blogs represented a significant improvement for the Globe. These changes amount to hiding them -- a significant backslide. Why should a reader have to click onto the home page of the static daily newspaper to get updates that reflect changes since the early morning hours when the dead tree edition was printed?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan Kennedy said...

Interesting how everyone sees the redesign differently. Because I go to the Globe online rather than Boston.com most of the time, I think the blogs are much easier to find than before.

November 13, 2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger Outraged Liberal said...

Not exactly a rousing endorsement of boston.com's breaking news value. Given this problem, maybe I should make that switch. But where do you get your fix of silly pet pictures? :-)

November 14, 2007 5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for noting this. I hate the new Boston.com and it will no longer be my homepage. It is ugly and less useful (I'm too tired to clean this up!) I had no one to vent to! Thanks!

November 19, 2007 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home