< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Does anybody know what time it is?

Another tale of high quality customer service.

The clock on the phone next to me is running a hour late (and five days behind, but that's another story). Have you ever tried to change the time on a GE desktop speaker phone?

First, I tried the obvious -- going through the settings on the phone's display. Too obvious, I guess because there is no option (at least to normal, clear-thinking human beings) among the menu choices for language, panel contrast, area code and tone/pulse.

So, next step is the owner's manual, you know the thing that says to make the phone work, plug it into the wall jack. Like virtually every human being, I probably included those paper scraps in the box that went into the trash.

No problem, there's always online manuals, right?

A quick trip to the GE site tells you the phone with its name on it is actually manufactured by Thomson. Scroll through the various corporations by that name, come up blank and finally plug in the model number of the phone into Google.

That takes you to Fixya.com, where I discover I am not the first person today to look for online tech support on how to change the date and time. So now, about 20 minutes into the search, I finally find the link to the online manual and think, help is on the way.

Wrong.

Digging out the magnifying glass to read the scrunched-up PDF, I searched for about 10 minutes, in vain, for the answer. I did get reinforcement for my understanding that I needed to plug the phone into the wall, but as for the date and time, well...

Thirty minutes and the phone is still on standard time.

GE. They probably can't or don't want to imagine what I'm think about now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger dan bosley said...

I am very grateful for the time change. Now, for the first time in months, my car clock is correct!

March 09, 2008 6:50 PM  
Blogger Outraged Liberal said...

You mean it didn't change when you drove forward :-)

As for me, I think the automatic update slept in for an extra hour or so. When I got around looking at the phone this morning it had adjusted on its own.

March 10, 2008 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home