Empyting an already vacant mind
Thoughts, random and otherwise, after 10 days of R&R:
- What's the message Boston sends to tourists when it requires them to shell out $9.75 to simply sit down in a cab at Logan?
- Speaking of Logan, why is it impossible to get a bag off an airplane and into a person's hands in less than 45 minutes? Doesn't matter the terminal or the time of day;
- What was that United States of America aircraft doing sitting in a remote area of the Reina Beatrix International Airport in Aruba yesterday? Dick Cheney doing some lizard hunting? Aruba, by the way, is a mere 15 miles off the coat of Hugo Chavez's Venezuela;
- Vacations are good times to catch up on reading -- for example this New Yorker piece of "the water cure" that sounds awfully familiar;
- Or this CommonWealth Magazine (registration required) look at the how the Patrick administration put together the casino numbers. Add to that today's Globe look at the construction job numbers and the house of cards image does come shining through;
- Ralph "Harold Stassen" Nader running for president again? All you need to know about his experience and judgment is his infamous comment that there was no real difference between Al Gore and George Bush;
- The ultimate sign of Americans' loss of self-confidence has to be the lament that no natives won this year's Oscars. I just dominating world culture somehow isn't good enough.