< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Monday, July 28, 2008

A Manny splendored thing

It's really not my business, but it's hard to ignore the drama swirling around the Boston Ramirezes, er, Red Sox these days.

I start with a proviso: as a Cleveland Indians fan, I was not happy when Manny Ramirez fled Cleveland, where he professed to be happy, lured by the $20 million annually waved in his face by the Red Sox.

And with the two World Series rings during his tenure, Red Sox fans think the move was worthwhile overall.

But from where I sit, Ramirez is the epitome of the overpaid, underthinking spoiled athlete. I'm delighted he's no longer Cleveland's problem. Who else would utter this gem in discussing his latest "slight" and where he wants to play next year.
“I don’t have any preferences: I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason. I don’t care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be. My job is to play baseball.”
Let the inappropriateness of that sink in for awhile.

This is from a 36-year-old man who considered it appropriate to shove a 67-year-old man who could not come up with enough tickets for him to purchase for a game.

Where I come from, that's called assault. No matter that some Manny apologists point out the 67-year-old was a former cop. He is somebody's father and grandfather and isn't being paid to take crap and physical abuse from a spoiled jock making more more in one year to play a child's game than I will make in my lifetime.

And who then turns around and says he is hurt by the reaction to Manny being Manny.

This Indians fan is quick to acknowledge the Red Sox have an extremely classy organization. But by continuing to tolerate this obnoxious behavior, in the name of "winning" they take a chance on sullying that reputation.

Manny Ramirez is not simply a disgrace to a Red Sox uniform. His childish, irresponsible, arrogant behavior is a disgrace to his profession and to the people who cherish it.

Now batting cleanup for the Baghdad Bombers, No. 24, Manny Ramirez...

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home