< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Is Charlie a snitch?

There was an interesting tidbit buried deep within Noah Bierman's Starts and Stops column this morning that certainly stopped me.

Q. Can a court have access to records of when you enter and leave the T? Can this information be obtained without your CharlieCard, using credit card information entered through an online purchase?

A. The courts cannot subpoena information on CharlieCards that are not registered nor can it be obtained without your card. Our system does not hold personal credit card information for nonregistered customers. The safety and security of our customers is our top priority.

The courts cannot subpoena information on CharlieCards that are not registered???? You mean that my card, registered as a result of my participating in a workplace payroll deduction program is more vulnerable to snooping than someone who just adds fares at machines and would be out a few bucks if they lost the card?

I'd sure love to hear more about this. Because based on this snippet it sure sounds like I have a fed in my wallet, 24-7-365.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

That seems almost silly. I'm not concerned with the snooping in this case; I see it more as a potential alibi for the innocent. And those who are likely to need it most strike me as least likely to have it registered online. Plus, the idea that a stolen card could now backfire...

This whole thing gives me a headache.

August 02, 2009 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home