< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Friday, August 07, 2009

Ticket to ride

Bravo to David Filipov for a long overdue look at the other side of Boston bicycle culture.

I will stipulate drivers treat cyclists with contempt and many pedestrians are bozos when it comes to both cars and bikes. But I cannot tell you how many times I mutter "I hope you get doored" after being buzzed within a inch by a cyclist who whizzes past me on a sidewalk, hops into the street to run a red light and the pedals furiously the wrong way up a one-way street.

I have a simple rule -- look both ways before crossing a one-way street. Usually (but not always) the danger lies in a cyclist.

Yesterday I enjoyed the fact a cyclist thanking me for not walking into her when she was making a left turn into where I was walking (and I had started crossing first).

Then there was the time I saw a cyclist do the sidewalk to street and back again routine on a street with a bicycle lane. I'd give the bozo who rode the wrong way in the bike lane more credit than the buzz bomber.

As with everything involving Boston's horrid non-MBTA transportation situation, the solution lies with the police.

Memo to the Mayor for Life: There's money to be made in ticketing drivers, cyclists and pedestrians who flout the law.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're embarrassing yourself.

August 07, 2009 7:52 PM  
Blogger Outraged Liberal said...

How?

August 08, 2009 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home