< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

There's not an app for that

Excuse me, but why do I want to pay $3.99 to tell me the train or bus is delayed? I already know that.

And forgive me for being cynical about the ability to accurately predict when it will show up. And how, exactly, will it work in the subway without wireless access?

Until the T deals with buses and trolleys running in pairs, I'm not sure it can offer anything.

I may give the freebie a try though. And if they can develop an app that will actually make 'em run on time...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Adam Gaffin said...

Why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Um, anyway, there are free T apps out there - just got back from the developer's conference where the runnerup in the first ever competition for a gold CharlieCard (really, it's gold and gets you on the T for free for a year) was Daniel Choi's OpenMBTA. He said he decided not to charge for the app because he thinks global warming is a major crisis and he's doing his little bit to fight it by encouraging people to take public transit.

November 14, 2009 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I agree that the T is way behind in implementing real time status for the trains and buses, I think you are forgetting that many people use buses as part of their commute, where you have cell access. These apps are very useful to people who use buses since the schedules are much more erratic than subways that run regularly.

November 15, 2009 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home