< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Keep on truckin'

Here's what I learned yesterday: Scott Brown's truck has more than 200,000 miles on it; Martha Coakley likes to ski and cook. Mark McGwire lied about taking steroids.

None of those insights -- or the exciting news that Sarah Palin is going to contribute to Fox News -- is going to make me any better informed about the issues in next Tuesday's election.

I'm obviously not the average voter and, equally obviously, I am not undecided. But if I were to fall into either of those categories I'm not sure I would have learned anything in last night's debate other than Brown would kill the health care bill an Coakley would take it over the top.

And somewhat incongruously, Joseph L. Kennedy would cast the decisive vote against it and then work to repeal it.

While that vote is an important milestone, there will be lots of other issues facing Massachusetts' junior senator casts the historic vote in the next month or so. And if I were just tuning in to the race I don't think I would have learned an awful lot beyond political rhetoric and that Brown can be smug and Coakley can be icy.

The race has inflamed the passions of true believers -- a look at the Twitter chatter from Brown supporters is proof of that. But will it encourage people to take the time next Tuesday to brave the cold and/or other elements and cast a vote?

The jury is still out on that one.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home