< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So long Citi

Citibank finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Cut up the cards and tell 'em to stick it.

The last straw in the saga came last night when I opened the mail and discovered not one but two friendly letters telling me I would now have the pleasure of paying a $60 annual fee on a credit card.

But, if I only spent a mere $2,400 a year "on purchases you already make like gas, groceries, cell phone plans and your cable bill" I could get it back.

The scissors came out pretty quickly.

The earnest customer service representative told me, in her pleasant Indian accent, that I had been a loyal customer for 20 years. And she repeated the "only spend $2,400" come-on. Sorry I hit you with my rant about how as a taxpayer I was already doing my fair share to bail out an irresponsible company.

So that's it. The romance is over. No more high interest rates. No more paying for front pages ads in the Times. No contribution to the name for the Mets home field.

Although suspect I may get stuck with a foreign currency transaction fee for a purchase I made on vacation in US dollars.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice - I did the same thing. a small measure of satisfaction.

February 17, 2010 8:16 AM  
Blogger Quriltai said...

Citi is as evil as it gets. BankAmerica and Sovereign aren't far behind.

I try to avoid banks that have a presence in more than 2 states if I can...don't trust 'em, don't like 'em.

February 18, 2010 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home