< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Friday, March 05, 2010

That didn't take long

Early riser that I am, my eyes sometimes play tricks on me when I scan the online headlines looking for daily fodder.

I thought that was the case when I spotted "Brown answers McCain's call for help" and saw our junior senator of one-month tenure was taking a campaign swing in Arizona. Nah, couldn't be. Our wet-behind-the-ears, still waiting for a formal office to work out of senator is sticking his nose (and neck) into the nasty, brutish business of national conservative grudge matches?

Nope, my eyes were not playing tricks on me.

Fresh from committee assignments that will take him far from the day-to-day financial concerns of the Average Joe and Jane who elected him to be a breath of fresh air in Washington, Brown is now on the campaign trail for the endangered Johnny Mac.

Maybe it's a move by Downtown Scottie Brown to show he's not in league with the tea baggers who funneled cash into the race to push him well past the already nearly moribund Martha Coakley, creating the impression in 49 states that his election was a sign of Tea Party might.

If his goal is to move away from the tea baggers, he probably couldn't have picked a better symbol than backing McCain, under attack in Arizona for being too liberal. Between the attachment to McCain and the disdain of Glenn Beck, Brown should hang on for dear life.

Problem is, it won't help him all that much with those of us who proudly wear the liberal tag. And it will probably help create a wave for those Facebook folks touting Rachel Maddow as a Democratic challenger for Brown in 2012.

Here's a suggestion Senator. Turn that truck north and tend to your knitting.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel Maddow, wow that would be a race. It wasn't Martha that lost, Scott won and will against all comers. Bring her on.

March 05, 2010 9:07 AM  
Blogger Readwriteblue said...

As a Tea Partier I would say that Sen. Brown is repaying a debt that he owes to Sen. McCain. I support Sen. Brown because I wish to have a major readjustment in the political balance of the federal legislatures. It is wise to remember the axiom "Politics makes strange bedfellows." Those whom complain loudest about Sen. Brown are those that resent him for winning. Many on the extreme left wish to high light this issue to show/stoke disunity in the Republican Party. I reaffirm that I am a Tea Partier not a Republican so I have little to say about Republican Party politics. But I am piqued that you choose to use an epithet while you often decry the coarsening of political discourse. Perhaps you would consider attending our up coming showing of “Not Evil Just Wrong”? In the spirit of open mindedness I would be willing to attend one of your events.

March 05, 2010 9:30 AM  
Blogger Quriltai said...

It's the people's seat, you know.

The People of Arizona, quite apparently.

March 05, 2010 9:30 AM  
Blogger Outraged Liberal said...

Read, unless I miss my mark, the only epithet I used was "Downtown Scottie Brown," a phrase that refers to his prowess as a long distance basketball shot. The last time I saw it used was by Eric Fehrnstrom, who ran his campaign.

As for events, I don't plan them and I don't attend them, left, right or center. But I do appreciate the gesture.

March 05, 2010 5:37 PM  
Blogger Outraged Liberal said...

Oh, and I don't consider wet behind the ears an epithet either. It's called an effort at saying how little time he has spent in Washington and is in pretty common use.

March 05, 2010 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home