< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

No respect

Hey, did ya hear that the Cleveland Cavaliers aren't playing the Orlando Magic for the Eastern Conference finals?

Yes, I do hail from the one-time Mistake on the Lake and I am loyal to its other sports teams, no matter how poorly they've done in recent years. And my heart is with them in coping with the fact there has not been one victory celebration since Dec. 27, 1964 when Frank Ryan and Gary Collins combined to stun the Baltimore Colts 27-0.

I suffered through The Drive. And The Fumble. I even felt a little of angst about The Shot, coming as it did during the twilight of the Bird Era when the Cavaliers were No. 2 on my hoop list.

I generally avoid ESPN and have become faint-hearted about actually watching games. But after reading today's New York Times three-peat coverage about the loser in the Eastern Conference semi-finals I am about to scream: who are the "old guys" who dismantled King James and the Cavs?

How about a little respect (if not love) for the Boston Celtics, who unlike the Garden counterpart, showed up, laced up their footwear and went out and did what the needed to do?

The Magic have been playing great basketball and will be a real challenge for the Team that is not the Cleveland Cavaliers. But I have faith that Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo and their teammates on the non-LeBrons will continue to play well.

Here we go Celtics. Here we go.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home