< .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Massachusetts Liberal

Observations on politics, the media and life in Massachusetts and beyond from the left side of the road.

Saturday, March 05, 2011

Center of attention

Perhaps it's a sign of how far to the right the pendulum has swung among Republicans that a piecemeal demolition of the health care law is considered a centrist position.

Compared to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's attempt to unilaterally blow up collective bargaining rights, Sen. Scott Brown's incrementalist approach to repeal does indeed appear to be more moderate. But the Globe appears to ignore Brown's own words in creating an image of the junior senator as a potential power broker:
"I’d like you to get this very clear: I’m opposed to the health care bill. I always have been. I’ve already voted to repeal it."
And despite the Globe's effort to portray him as attempting to move away from the Tea Party as he faces reelection next year, the junior senator really isn't fudging his stance on a federal law that could again put Massachusetts in the political cross hairs as conservatives rant that there's not a dime's worth of difference between "RomneyCare" and "ObamaCare."
“Do we do nothing? I want to repeal it and until we get to that point I’m going to keep chipping away."
That's a centrist, middle-of-the-road position?

Brown hold a sizable political war chest in advance of 2012 and none of the rumored Democratic challengers strike fear in GOP hearts. But Brown is smart enough to know that he didn't either when he ran in 2010 and that he needs the support from real moderates and not just the Tea Party right.

Stories like this one that trumpet an illusion of moderation go a long way to fulfilling that need.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Brown to be re-elected. He will be the first candidate I have ever contributed towards, and the first I'll go stand on a corner and hold a sign for. From my position I consider him a moderate, but he's the best I can hope for in this state.

March 05, 2011 11:34 AM  
Blogger DEN said...

“All I know is I will work with anybody who wants to get our debt and deficit in order and wants to tackle the very real fiscal and financial problems that we have — regardless of who they are," [Brown] said.

You may not like it, but he seems to be able to generate a dialogue while your arm-waving idealogues are getting nothing done.

March 05, 2011 11:41 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

To fix the deficit, we should tax income over $100,000 a year at 85%. See what that do, then increase it if needed.

March 05, 2011 2:58 PM  
Blogger Outraged Liberal said...

Never said he wasn't a smart politician. I question the consistency of his positions to his rhetoric, not his tactics on how to stay in office.

March 06, 2011 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home